Monday, December 6, 2010

Welcome!

I have been inspired by Anna Spiro - a wonderful blogger - to join the crew!  I thought my very first post would be all about how wonderful it feels to give, how phenomenal it is to witness the giving spirit, and what it is like to facilitate giving every day.. and it is a wonderful job, but today I barred my first charity from using GIVIT!

They are a very very big charity, so I won't mention their name.. The issue was that they had committed to some donations from the Virtual Warehouse and didn't organise collection of the items, and it wasn't the first time.

I was unsure how to proceed as I truely love their wonderful service but it felt that it is necessary to bar their use of GIVIT until I discussed the matter with them.
 
I always thought my biggest nightmare starting GIVIT was that something that we had received/donated ended up on eBay!  But, really, it is about loosing trust.  It seems that GIVIT's reputation is solely centered in other Charities.  If they do not collect the items it reflects on GIVIT, rather than them.  Donators (once they start the process of donating thier pre-loved items) want to act.. they love the action of giving.  So when it is hard for them, it goes against my very grain of why GIVIT is.. Giving is easy.. My goal is to keep it that way.
 
In any case all is well now, and they are back on track.  Like most people this time of year it is difficult to juggle all the balls we are dealt, but especially if you are a social worker dealing with people with very complex issues.  It is very important to remember that social workers are not super human, and don't always have the resources they need.. but that's a whole other story!

4 comments:

  1. Amen! Onwards and upwards I say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juliette you are an inspiration. What a woman! Just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juliette
    Thanks for saying that we social workers aren't super human. Lots of people don't know that!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thrilled to have inspired you to start blogging Juliette! Will be following your journey!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete